Last month, I hiked another mountain which is Dobongsan, and it’s also under Bukhansan National park. If you are an adventure lover and love hiking, then you would love it. I will share with you in this post the details guide to conquer Dobong mountain and also share some fantastic photos that I took on my last hike. I’m sure you are going to hike this mountain after seeing the images.
Why Hiking Dobongsan Mountain?
Dobongsan is also a very popular and scenic hike after Bukhansan Baegundae. This mountain is famous for it’s a most significant rock formation. You will see many rock climbers are climbing on the most prominent rock. The view you will see at the top is fantastic. The highest peak is Juanbong Peak(Dobongsan Peak), which is 740 meters (2,428 feet) high.
How to get Dobongsan from Seoul Station:
In Seoul metro app ( I use Kakao Metro App) Search Dobongsan Which is in line number 1. Which is only 44 minutes ride from the Seoul Station. Get to the Dobongsan station and Exit via 1. Cross the Street and walk through the big shop and small store which all are selling hiking and mountain related products.
If you get confused, then follow the Ajoshi and Ajumma (Older people) who are heading for dobongsan. So many people hike in the weekend, so it’s hard to be lost. Also if you don’t like crowded trails then avoid weekend hike.
Get a trail map from the park information center. Most of the park’s assistance understand English very well. So, Ask him if you have any further questions or want to know more about the trails. They are so friendly and kind. Even sometimes they walk me to the entrance of the trail.
HIking Dobongsan Mountain Trail :
The most popular hiking trails of Dobongsan are following.
Main Trail : Dobong Ranger Station – Geumgangam – Dobong Shelter – Cheonchuksa (temple) – Madangbawi (rocks) – Dobongsan peak [summit] – Seokguram (hermitage) – Rescue Centre – Dobong Shelter – Geumgangam – Dobong Ranger Station
Or You can get to the Juanbong Peak(Dobongsan Peak) and descend from the opposite direction which is leading to another beautiful Podae ridge and Podae peak. Follow the signs to be sure of the route. The route is also going towards Mangwolsa Temple. At the end of this trail, you can go to Mangwolsa Station (line number 1) and head back to home.
Duration of HIking Dobongsan:
If you are active then it would take only 2 hours to the peak and 2 hours to get down for slow and steady hiker 5 hours max. Be careful while hiking and don’t be rush.
The trails are moderately tricky with rocky and some steep section.
Extra helpful tips to follow:
- Appropriate Footwear and Clothing are the musts. If you need any hiking accessories that you can buy from the Dobongsan park entrance.
- Bring enough water with you. If You hike in summer then must bring 2 liters or more water with you. You will be exhausted by hiking, and You would need more water to keep you hydrated. Water is very crucial in the hot day’s hiking.
- Don’t forget to pack snacks and lunch. You can buy Bibimbap, Water, Snacks and some other foods that you like from the main entrance.
- Pack an ultralight backpack. Don’t make your bag heavy. It will be harder for you to hike with a heavy backpack.
More Helpful resource on the web of HIking Dobongsan Mountain:
- Hiking Dobongsan Peak at Bukkhansan National Park by boboandchichi
- Dobongsan Mountain (도봉산) by Visite Korea Official Site.
If you need guidance or more info comments below, I would be so happy to help.
I take all of the photos and belonging to Trailhikr. Please contact me if you want to use any of these photos. I would be so happy and delighted to share with you.
Happy Hiking. Hike for life.
- Suraksan Hiking [7 Photos] – All You Need to Know
- How To Hike Baegundae Peak Of http://trailhikr.com/baegundae-peak-hiking-guide-in-korea/Mt Bukhansan [The Definitive Guide]